Going Back to Leadville - Part II. Go Time


Imagine the following movie scene: bullets are flying. Explosions. Loud music. The camera focuses onto the heroine. (then in slow motion) She is sliding down trying to avoid the bullets. Her entire life flashes before her eyes and then the screen goes to black.
This is how my Leadville 2017 race almost came to an end (well, minus the bullets and explosions, of course).  

Now, back to Leadville.

Yes, this race is anything but easy, and probably that’s part of what makes it so special. So here is my 2017 story (you should also read Kate’s post for the full story - link below):

For Kate’s post - click here.

For Part I of this post - click here.

One of my favorite views on the course

Saved by the bell   

Pre-race jitters. We all have them; and it’s what we do with them that makes the difference. This year, I was doing my best to block them out as much as possible and relax. I guess I was doing such a good job on that Friday, that I literally missed the packet pickup. Oops!
This is how it happened. Friday morning, while sipping what seemed like my 10th cup of coffee, I innocently asked  “what time does the packet pickup end?” This question caused quite a stir in our little cabin. After a quick check, we realized that we were almost out of time. Kate was the quickest out the door and in less than 2 min was on her way. Michelle and I needed a few more minutes. As we were chasing Kate’s car, I was thinking to myself: “Gosh, I hope this is not a premonition of what’s to come on race day (Chasing Kate that is)”.

Long story short, yes we missed packet pickup and our race almost ended before it even started. Lucky for us, there was an “unofficial” pickup that night. Of course we took no chances and got there on the early side. To our surprise, the line kept getting longer and longer. Seems like we were not the only idiots who missed the formal time slot. Phew!!

Photo: Jeff Dieffenbach

Race is On

I’m not going to bore you with a long course description. Not only because it almost took me longer to write this blog post (in months) than to finish the entire race (in hours). But also because I want to focus on what mattered that day. Which of course would mean the different wardrobe changes I made during this race. After all #stylematters or in my case, and at times lack thereof.   

The Start line

Same time, same place but one year later. This year with a better plan (at least I hoped) and a slightly better starting position - the Orange corral, thanks to my Austin Rattler time (race report here). It was still dark and it was slightly warmer than last year, but only by a few degrees. This time, however, I was ready for the cold. “Racer-Sharon” got pushed to the side, and “I don’t want to be cold Sharon” showed up to the start line. Same basic outfit, but with additions that would be shed along the way. A second pair of gloves (with chemical heat packs in between), chemical toe warmers on top of the shoes and toe warmers on top of them. I was also planning to wear my sweatshirt until I felt warm enough to not need it anymore. To be honest, I was feeling a little stupid to be dressed up like this standing next to Kate. She was basically wearing shorts, a jersey and arm warmers. But then again, I learned from my mistake and felt it was better to lose some style points than the entire race.

Feeling a little stupid to be dressed up like this

St Kevin's - better known as: Stay on Kate's wheel no matter what   

My plan was to ride the paved section before St Kevin’s a little slower. Not only to avoid the crazy start with riders trying to get a better position, but mainly because it’s a downhill and I knew I would be cold. Kate followed me until we got to the dirt and then jumped ahead to pave the way.
She did an awesome job picking a solid line and passing people, not an easy task at the back of the race. I was doing my best to stay on Kate’s wheel as she masterfully zigzagged from side to side. I managed to stay behind her until right before the end of the climb I lost her wheel thanks to some guy who wanted in on the Kate-train and aggressively blocked me. Then of course, for added complexity, I dropped my nutrition flasks (always carry extra! Glad I did). I finally caught up to Kate at the top and we continued downhill together.

Heat and Wardrobe update: Top of Sugarloaf, feeling warmer finally. Sweatshirt came off. It only took 2 climbs and one downhill.

Outfit 2 - sweatshirt and orange gloves are off Photo courtesy of CenturyLink 

The Kate and Sharon Choo Choo train


On the paved section after Powerline, Kate and I started to work together rotating the lead between us. I guess at some point my Sharonator mode kicked in and I was taking longer pulls. (It should be noted that the Sharonator mode does not come out often and when it does, it must be cherished and acknowledged). I was feeling good and was happy to be off to a better start than last time.
When we got off the pavement towards Pipeline aid station, a woman rode to our side and said: “these guys should thank you both for the pull”, we both turned around to see a line of about 20 guys on our wheels. Really guys? Well, at least that made me smile.

Columbine strikes again - twice, OK, maybe 2.5 times  

As planned we stopped at Twin Lake for a backpack exchange. But when I tried sipping from it after a few miles nothing came out. I tried again, still nothing. Stupidly, I tried to shake my body, jumping up and down, maybe this will help, still nothing. I told Kate that I needed to stop and see what’s wrong. She already came up with plan B if I could not fix it, but I was hoping I would. I pulled the bladder out to check. Something was blocking the hose. Strong shake, shake, shake (and maybe a little dance) of my hydration mix and voila - fixed. We kept moving.  

This time around I was actually passing people instead of being passed. At the mandatory hike-a-bike section, I hiked, but shortly thereafter realized that I could actually ride most of it. Feeling great about the discovery I jumped back on my bike and spun uphill. Sadly, this great victory sensation lasted only a few short minutes. I started to feel a strong pinch in my inner thigh. I told myself “ignore it, ride through the pain Sharon”, but the pain kept getting stronger and stronger and my spin, slower and slower. No time to panic, it’s Leadville and the clock is always ticking. “It must be the attitude”, I thought, “after all I am about 1 mile from the top of Columbine”. I decided to talk it off - I was not going to let Columbine strike me out. It worked, pain disappeared and I was back on the bike.

Almost at the top and the wind picked up. Kate was descending towards me, she yelled that she’ll wait at the bottom. Smart decision on her part, I thought and I kept going (secretly hoping that I will catch up to her the downhill - yeah right Sharon).

Outfit 3 - finally warm enough to be dressed normalPhoto courtesy of CenturyLink

On the descent, the sun was back and I was making good speed. Until I wasn’t. Taking one turn a little too fast, my rear wheel started skidding followed by the front, then the bike and me. We sled together in blissful harmony (hmmm, more like painful harmony), until I came to a complete stop some yards down and on the other side of the road. Those few seconds felt like eternity and I could see my entire race was flashing before my eyes, the red carpet disappearing. Just like in the movies, but this time in real life. Will Columbine strike me out? Not this time! After a few seconds of shock, I got up. Dusted of my cloths. Quick systems check: start with the more important - the bike is OK. Then to me. My knee and hip were banged up pretty good but usable. My beautiful new shorts were a little ripped. Overall small price to pay. Best news: both bike and girl were OK. No time to rest, gotta keep chasing Kate. We connected at the bottom and kept going. A little more than halfway done!  

Little Stinker - I don’t smell you

On the way back. It was little sticker who handed me my final blow in 2016. This time when we met, she was odorless, just another short and punchy hike-a-bike. I was back on the bike in no time. “See ya little Stinker, I have a bigger score to settle”.  

Powerline - Hey where did the guy with the cold watermelon go?

Bottom of Powerline
Kate and I decided not to stop at Pipeline aid station, but as we passed under the timing mat, I couldn’t help but to look for her, “the cut-off lady”. “Of course she’s not there Sharon” I smiled, “this time you can keep going”. While on the the road section leading to Powerline, we were welcomed by a strong head wind. We tried to form a paceline with some other guys but we dropped them (I think), and then Kate dropped me (I’m sure of that, but well she did slow down when she noticed). I think that was the hardest section of the day, battling the headwind, but I made it through. At the bottom of Powerline, we met our support crew and Kate stopped for some food. I had to keep moving as I knew that if I stopped my knee and hip would stiffen and that would be the end of the road for me.
I heard stories about the cheering and watermelon hand-off on the hike-a-bike section of Powerline. I was so looking forward to this as this year I was actually going to experience it. But watermelon guy (or gal - i don’t know) wasn’t there. Well, at least I still got the cheers as I was walking up. Who needs a watermelon anyway when they have Cucumber Mint Gu? Not me.  

A little banged and dusty from the crash

Snow on the mountain


When I pre-rode the Leadville course back in June, the top of Sugarloaf was still covered with patches of snow that required some short hike-a-bike’s. I was hoping that this will be my first and last encounter with snow on the Leadville course. Well, mother nature had a different idea that day. Remember that wind that was picking up at the top of Columbine? That was a sign for things to come. I totally missed it, or maybe chose to. I managed to make it to the top of Powerline and halfway down Sugarloaf, when the rain caught me. I ignored it coming down Hagerman Pass, but when I got to the road and started my descent the rain was falling harder. An internal debate started about stopping or not. The smart side won: “Come’on Sharon, you don't remember what happened last time you played the racer?” So I stopped. I put my pink rain jacket and pink wind-block gloves on (after all #pinkisbadass) and proceeded with the descent, feeling much warmer. It turned out that I got lucky to only ride in the rain, the riders that were behind me actually got snowed on at the top of Sugarloaf. In my bright pink and last outfit of the day I pedaled over the last big climb and down the hill: “Just singing and riding in the rain”.     

Photo courtesy of CenturyLink

Stop to smell the flowers


At the bottom of St. Kevin’s when it was clear that I was going to make the cut-off with plenty of time to spare. I got a little emotional and teary eyed. I decided to slow down, enjoy the moment(s), the views and the last push up the Boulevard. Which by the way, wasn’t as bad as I imagined it to be. As I was nearing the end of the Boulevard I saw Kate again coming out of the nearby field with some flowers she just picked. I guess she had the same idea as I did (although literally). Reunited again, we continued together towards the finish line.
Not for long though, but this time it was my fault as I started to take off getting excited by the sounds of the finish line. Don’t worry Kate wasn’t far behind, and you can see that by my butt shots that she took on her blog post.

Final outfit
Photo courtesy of CenturyLink

My red carpet moment


It is a special feeling coming down that little hill on 6th St. Seeing the finish line and hearing the music. All I could think of was “I did it the plan worked”.
As I made my way onto the red carpet, I could not wipe the smile off my face. It's the same feeling I experienced crossing the Ironman finish line (minus the announcer butchering my last name). Part of you doesn’t want this moment to end, but another part wants this to be over as soon as possible so you can be off the bike.  

My red carpet momentPhoto courtesy of CenturyLink

Buckle up  

Well I did it. Here’s my BUCKLE!
PS - Glad I am no overachiever as the under 9 hours buckle is too big to Rock comfortably.


As I said, it took me almost as long to finish my race recap as it took me to finish the race, but in both cases - there was no quitting. This came out longer than I planned, so if you are still reading up to this point - Thank you for sharing my adventure.

Kate - thank you for your company and pacing me through this race, it was just perfect and I would love to ride with you again any time (or more like chase you).

Claire and rest of the WBR team - thank you for the opportunity and thank you for the work you are doing, changing lives through the power of the bike. Dear readers it is not too late to make a donation to this cause (Link here).

Thanks to all the great people I met during this edventure. Hoping to have many more adventures together.

Eldon (fattie) Nelson - thanks for the nutrition advice!!!

Sarah Kaufmann (my coach) - thanks for the tough love :-) You know I need it.

And last but not least big thanks to my support crew, cheerleaders and training and everything partners Michelle and Summer. You are just the best.

With my support crew
I also like to give a shout out to (i) Endurobites - your Betared helped the acclimation during the days before the race and your bar was the best things to eat right before the race. If any of you reading this would like to try either or both, please use discount code SHARON20 for 15% off; and (ii) GU for my during the race nutrition. Please don’t ever stop making the Cucumber Mint flavor (can I ask that you make that in the 15 serving size :-) and same goes to my new favorite flavor Marshmallow.   


Cheers and thanks for reading









Comments

  1. This article is very motivating and interesting. Your work is just amazing. Please also check my work in Traffic Racing and American Speed

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doing Breck Epic Shit - Breck Epic 2018 - Act I

Samarathon 2018 - Winter #epicshit in the Israeli Desert. Part II

Doing Breck Epic Shit - Breck Epic 2018 - Act II