Doing Breck Epic Shit - Breck Epic 2018 - Act II


How do you summarize 6 days of racing in one epic (blog post)? You don't. It was getting to be too long so I decided to split it to 2 posts. This also gave me the opportunity to include more photos, which is always good. Now ...
Back with Act II, sorry for the long intermission but life got in the way again. If you missed Act I, you can read it here.

Where is the trail? Are we there yet?
Almost at the top of Miners Pass on Stage 5
  

Verse 4 - Dead last and lesson learned 

Aqueduct 44 miles, 6300′ (~6,000' according to my Garmin)

Day 4 is the longest day and I remembered it to be long, hard but fun day with great views and single tracks. I did this section of the race as part of the Breck-curious version in 2016 and rode the last 3 days. After 3 days of hard riding I was actually looking forward to something more familiar, or so I though.

Stage 4 starts with a climb. I know shocking, right? Considering the fact that we are talking about a race that starts in Breckenridge where the only way is UP. After a few miles of climbing we enter into a great single track going downhill, flowing on some nice berms on a trail right in town called Slalom. Right as I pass the photographer positioned in the optimal point for a rad photo (no, sadly I don't have my photo, but I posted one below of someone else), I feel my rear tire slide a bit. I ignored it for another sweet turn and finally took a look, hmmm it's a little soft, but I decided to finish the single portion riding carefully not to bang the rim on the rocks.


Just when you think it is all over
When I got to the gravel road I stopped to take a better look. Yeah, my rear tire is flat. I used my only CO2 and it didn't work, so on to the pump. Finally the tire is pumped again. By the time it took me to fix this flat Anthony and Nadine, the sweep, caught up to me, which meant I am last or close to it. With the tire inflated I'm back on the bike on to a short decent and then a sharp right turn, a small water crossing and into a steep climb. When I hear a loud noise from the back of my bike. My chain and crank seized and I couldn't pedal. I quickly dismounted and immoderately checked my rear derailleur. I tried shifting and spinning the crank, phew it's moving. My rear tire was  completely flat again and as I spun the crank arm I heard this cling cling cling sounds. Oh sh%^, I broke a spoke. Anthony and Nadine caught up to me again and now they stopped to help me. We took the broken spoke out, put a tube in and tried to mount the tire on. It took 2 of us to do that, with me having a short panic attack. We used the co2 Nadine had and nothing, the tube stayed flat. We must have punctured it trying to mount the tire. Anthony then gave me his spare tube. Shoot the valve was too short and we couldn't pump it with our hand pumps.

I now had tears in my eyes as I saw the race slipping away at mile 9. And just as I thought it was all over a hiker coming down the hill offered the floor pump that he had in his car not far. He ran to his car and came back with the pump. We managed to inflate the tube and everything looks OK. While this was happening, I called Michelle who was volunteering in aid station 2 and asked her if she could drive to aid station 1 and drop off the spare rear wheel that I left in the car. Yes, I did bring a spare set of wheels (although Michelle questioned this neurotic decision), and now it came in handy. Thank God for being neurotic and packing everything but the kitchen sink for this race.

45 min later I was on my way, now for sure I was dead last, like 40 min behind everybody, and
Survived to ride another day
even the volunteers that were riding behind the sweep and cleaning the course and picking up the course markings were there.

This was so demoralizing even if my goal was just to finish each stage. Yes, I did think about quitting, the road was just behind me. Nadine actually told me that she would have called it quits 30 min ago. But I was determined to get that buckle. I got back on my bike and then hiked my bike in chase of the other riders. My goal for the day had become to catch up as many as I could and not to be DFL (dead fucking last). For the next 4 miles to aid station 1, Anthony rode behind me and kept encouraging me that if I keep this pace I will catch up. Thanks Anthony, Nadine and nameless hiker for all the help!!!

When I finally got to the aid station, 2 volunteers grabbed my bike and immediately pulled the wheel off and put the spare wheel on, while I got some water, gels and took another second to smile and thank everyone for my good luck. Even though I was dead last, I felt like a pro with all this support. They even gave me a small push out of the aid station like they do in the Tour. I thanked everybody and especially Michelle and I was on my way, The mission - not to be last. Missions accomplished when on the first hike-a-bike section after the aid station I passed the first riders and then a few more. I was starting to relax and enjoy the day. Yes, I survived stage 4 and I wasn't last.

** So lesson learned, when packing for a stage race bring everything but the kitchen sink, meaning all the spares that you can think of and can fit: tubes, tires, wheels, shoes, etc. Driving to the race made it easier to over pack.

** Lesson #2 is make sure you have 2 tubes (with the correct valve length) and 2 CO2s with you (it's not helpful that they are in your aid bag at the aid station).   

Chase mode (Pax Tolosi, thanks for the photo)


Verse 5 - A T-shirt worthy "moment" - aka come ready to hike

Wheeler 32 miles, 4900′ (5,207' according to my Garmin)

They say ignorance is a bliss and when it comes to stage 5 - Wheeler Pass, this saying is more than just true. Don't let the stats of this day fool you. This is the hardest day of the race and I knew it coming into the race. This time I did not have the luxury of ignorance, I knew what I was getting myself into as I suffered through it in 2016. But yeah, I still signed up. Call me a masochist or maybe an optimist, thinking this time it would be different. I guess this is exactly the essence of type 2 fun, you forget the pain, how much it sucked shortly after it is over and only remember the fun.
Let me explain why.

The stage starts with a TT start right into a single track going uphill. It's not an easy fun and flowing single track, it's rocky and steep at times. When I got to aid station 1 at mile 4!!!! yes, you read it right, I was already spent. After 1 more mile of rideable stuff we got to the "real" trail, Wheeler that is. It's a hiking trail and therefore we hiked, we hiked a lot. Steep, narrow trail going up and right when you thought you are at the top and can ride, you discovered that you are not. Remember, you are not at the top of wheeler until you get to the bacon and whisky (yes, they had those at the top). Then the decent starts, but once you get to the section where you start to have fun, it all ends with a sharp right turn into Miners Creek trail. 


Now, if I thought Wheeler was bad, this section was even worse. What looked on the elevation profile graph as a short not so steep section, turned out in reality to be an endless hike, steep and at times I wasn't even sure there was a trail. Just a pile of boulders we had to walk over aiming for the next pink ribbon. I kept telling myself, well at least this time I can actually see the view and it's warm and nice out (in 2016 it was hailing and raining the whole time). 
2016 finish look of Wheeler stage
wet, covered in mud and frozen

Then I got to the top, and I was happy the decent was coming. In 2016 I remembered that I had to walk a lot of the decent as it was very narrow, wet and slippery due to the rain/hail and I couldn't see what was on the side of the mountain due to the fog. I was hoping to ride more this year, but sadly I probably walked just as much.

I was happy with my decision to wear shoes that are more comfortable for hiking (Five Ten Hellcat) and pedals that have one side flats and one clipless (Crank Brothers Doubleshot). Both allowed me to ride more sections with more confidence. I was so happy to finally get to the tree line section of the decent and welcomed the big rocks and roots of the Colorado Trail as those were more manageable.   

Basically, from aid station 1 (at mile 4) to aid station 2 (at about mile 17), I believe about 60% was hiking. I was so happy to get to aid station 2, as I knew from there it's Peaks Trail which was all rideable. Finally some type 1 fun.
Here's a video of the day. I made it in at around 1 min, and yay, I'm riding my bike in these few seconds of glory.


After doing the Wheeler stage again, I can say it is the one stage that makes me unsure that I will ever sign up for this race again. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a crazy challenge and have partaken in my fair share of craziness (see my posts about La Ruta). But I also believe that if I want to go on a hike, it's much more fun done without my bike. I think this stage has a little too much of type 2 fun that even in my book it becomes not fun at all, during or after, and no wheeler T-shirt would change that, event if it is PINK!

I walked Wheeler and all I got is this pink T-shirt :-)
OK, come'on who am I kidding, of course I will do this race again, but I do wish this stage will be changed, maybe skip Miners Creek?

Chorus B - Aid Stations - things you'll see and taste only in Breck

The aid stations and the volunteers deserve their special chorus, and not only because of the things you will see. Like sled dogs pulling a golf cart full of people which I believe is a sight you will see only at Breck Epic aid station. (sorry no photo as I didn't have my phone out). But also because each stage have 2 of those (longer stages have 3) and then one more at the finish line, so you can know what to expect.

Here's the good thing about the aid stations - the volunteers are amazing!!! You'll have your aid bag open and ready as soon as you pull into the aid station. They will help you get stuff out, get water, gels etc. At the aid stations you will find the basics - water, energy drink (GU roctane), gels, stroopwafel (you have to try those), fruit. If you want something more substantive or anything else you need to put it in your aid bag. btw - Summer, my dog who volunteered at the aid stations with Michelle, found some interesting stuff in those aid bags (beef jerky, bacon etc), not to worry she didn't taste them. Some of the aid stations would have neutral mechanic support but not all, so make sure you have what you need to fix a mechanical or restock in your aid bag.

Here's the bad - sometimes the aid station will not be where they told you it would be. What I mean by that is that the course map or direction handed the day before would say it will be at mile X but on race day it will be at mile Y (within a few miles error). Not a huge thing but still, I kinda hope that by now they can get it right.

At the finish line you will have more substantial food. Let's start with the ice cold soda, then continue to the pretzels and chips for some saltiness. Then finish with a sandwich you didn't even know you have to have. Eva's own creations and when she offers it to you do not say no. Odd combinations such as mayo, pickles and chips or marshmallow spread, nutella and chips were surprisingly delicious after 40 miles at altitude they made me come back for more. Don't knock it until you tried it, that's all I'd say.                


Verse 6 - The friends you meet a long the way

Gold Dust 30 miles, 4800′ (3,399' according to my Garmin)

That's it the last day. Not an easy day but a fun one. Some sweet not too technical single track, that will include some interesting features like riding in a stream. No, not crossing it but riding inside it. It's a day to smile and take your time and enjoy the new friends you made along the way.


What was special to me in this race was that not only did I get to see friends that I met in previous years in other races, but I also got to meet in person some of my virtual friends on social media. It is so cool when your virtual life connects with the real life and those pictures you see becomes real.
On top of that I got to make some new real friends who are now also virtual friends.   

The friends you meet along the way (well at least some of them)

Epilogue - Buckle up   

Do I really need to say more than what's already engraved on the back of the buckle?

Breck Epic you are BAD MOTHERFUCKER EPIC worthy!!!


Thanks for reading! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doing Breck Epic Shit - Breck Epic 2018 - Act I

Samarathon 2018 - Winter #epicshit in the Israeli Desert. Part II