The Freedom to Run - Running is Freedom - Tips on Running in New Places

Red Bull gives you wings, at least that's what the commercial say. Perhaps it's true, I don't know, as the Vodka that is mixed in usually creates the opposite effect on me. Running, however, gives me just that - wings, I mean. The freedom to discover new places, to disconnect from reality, find my zen moments. Finding the balance between the crazy pace of life in general and my work travel schedule. Those moments of sanity come among the different time zones, geographies and cultures that my work takes me to.

For a billion Chinese, 2016 was the year of the Monkey, for me it was the year of the Travel. At least once a month, and in most twice - I found myself packing my suitcase and heading to the airport. Traveling for work is fun, at least in the beginning, but soon after it becomes just another routine, or more like routine killer. Messing up the day-to-day routine and even worse my training routine.

So how do I maintain my training routine in my non-routinish life?

Running in New Places1.jpg
Laguna Beach, CA - same time, same route, 3 different days


Non-routine is an opportunity


This is where my Red Bull moment kicks in. One way to see it is as an annoyance, especially if you travel to the same place over and over again. Although in my case, once a month to Paris does not sound so bad. I have been lucky, at least so far, and I don't get to spend a week in the middle of nowhere. In fact, this year I have been fortunate enough to travel to and run in places that would be high up on many's Bucket Lists. I've traveled so much that even my close friends started to ask if I even have a job anymore. I choose to see it differently. I see this as an opportunity. Opportunity to discover new places from a different point of view. Through my legs.

What I wrote so far is true also for any other trip. Whether with family or alone. There is no better way to discover new places, from the locals' point of view. Especially if you wake up early to sneak in a run before the family wakes up and you have to stick to the busy well planed in advance schedule.

20160411_000501.jpg
Monthly run in Paris, not bad at all


Why Running? 


Somewhat of a rhetorical question, but for those who need an explanation here is one: Let's start with the trivial. It's accessible, does not require special equipment (other than running shoes), and hence easy to pack. You can run almost always and anywhere (why almost - keep reading). So far, I assume that you didn't learn anything new. Beyond those trivial reasons: Running brings in new interest to my trips, a new dimension that is only mine. To discover new places or rediscover old places is an experience that not many get to experience. Because while they are still asleep, and all they get to see is the road from the hotel to the office, I have already been out. I got to see the sunrise, watch the fishermen return with the morning catch, see the street cleaners wash the Champs Elysees, smell the local bread being baked and the fresh morning coffee being ground. I get to say hello to local runners in our own special international language. Most importantly, I disconnect and recharge my batteries for yet another long day in the office.
For you adrenaline lovers, running in new place also adds additional challenge and sometimes involves living on the edge and taking some calculated risks (well, at least that's how a geek like me defines them).

In this post I have collected a few tips on running in new places and share some of my running adventures from this past year.

20160317_063859.jpg
I have already been out. I got to see the sunrise - Jaipur, India


Plan in advance


No one likes to miss a workout, especially not for an unjustified reason like "I was abroad and the hotel had no gym" or "I didn't pack the right cloths". This is why a little bit of advance planning is needed. Start from choosing your hotel or lodging (if that is under your control) in a place that looks run friendly, like near a park or a river. Check the weather forecast right before you pack (as forecasts can change unexpectedly) and pack accordingly. From my experience I learned to pack extra and plan for the unexpected. I don't mean that you should pack a heavy coat in the middle of summer, but more like - give yourselves the flexibility to run outdoors even if it's a little chillier than expected or slightly warmer.

Know that you are in "bad shape" but your priorities in life are just right, if your bed looks like that before a work trip and you didn't even start packing work cloths.

20160405_095948.jpg

Know your surroundings


Check the map before you go on your run. If you don't know the area, find a route that goes through main streets, well lit parks, etc. Nowadays it's much easier with running apps like MapMyRun. Personally I am not this sophisticated and usually just checkout Google Maps and always come ready for an adventure.

It's always good to read a little about your destination, especially if it's an exotic one: know where it's dangerous to run and where it's safe. Ask the locals: hotel concierge, local running store, and if possible local runners. For example in Paris - Bois de Boulogne is notorious and the advice you will get from non-runners will be to avoid it at all hours of the day, while in fact it is a runners paradise and well worth the visit (during the day!!!).

Running and music


I know a lot of runners who claim they cannot run without it. Same for me when I am on the treadmill. But outdoors, and in a new place for sure, do yourselves a favor and leave the headphones at the hotel. Now, I do not mean play music via speaker. Not at all. I mean run without. It's not only safer, especially in a place you don't know well. It's much more fun and intensifies the experience of discovering a new place and feeling part of it.  

20161130_085531.jpg
Central Park, NYC - just me and the surrounding nature


Cellphone and cash


Now I said leave the headphones home, but always always take your cellphone and some cash with you. For any emergency or even just to double check the map in case you are lost. It has happened to me more than once.

Don't forget that your phone is also a camera and you should use it at least once or twice. Because if it's not on Instagram it didn't happen, and of course a selfie running on the beach in California or around a lake in India, looks much better than you trying not to fall asleep in another boring meeting. It's all marketing - right ?!

20160614_064947.jpg
Of course that your selfie on the beach in California looks better than one in the office


And don't forget to use the cash you brought for a post run espresso.

Get out early and hit the tourist attractions


On a work trip usually there is no other choice, but even when there is, I recommend heading out early. Be smart about it though, because too early may be dangerous. The sights you will get to see when the streets are still empty from people, traffic is lighter and the tourist attractions have yet to fill are well worth the hour or two of sleep you sacrificed. Needless to say it also helps for a smoother run with less stops.

Be flexible and listen to you instincts  


Even if you are super anal, not everything can be planed in advance. The more flexible you are the more likely you are to be able to maintain your training routine. More importantly to have fun. Sometimes my adventurous side kicks in and not so smart actions will be taken. Like running on trails in India near a small village. To my defense - I was not alone and had with me an Irish giant serving also as a "body guard". Nothing bad happened except for a too close of an encounter with the not so glamorous Indian reality, but the deep feeling of unease I felt from the the locals' stares was hard to describe in words. So, be smart and listen to your instincts, for better or worse. If those tell you do not go past the half closed gate in Jaipur, don't; or come back the next day with the same Irish giant.

Running in New Places2.jpg
So come back tomorrow with the same Irish giant - what was waiting for us behind that gate


Listen to you body and enjoy the surprises


We all want to call ourselves spontaneous with sense of humor. In reality, however, last minute surprises are not welcome. Especially when they relate to our training plan, and if you have a coach, goals, races or like me obsessed to have your Training Peaks account be all green.

If today's workout calls for VO2 max intervals. You really want to hit them, but today it will not happen because of jet-lag, the pressure of the busy work schedule on your trip, unfamiliar food. those reasons and many more are very common when you step outside your routine. Instead of giving up, getting angry and quitting, roll with it and listen to your body. Take a step back and slow down your run. Enjoy the view, the moment, the opportunity to see and experience something new. The intervals will wait.  

20160126_070732.jpg
Slow down and enjoy a run in the snow

Always have a Plan B


You guessed right, here. I mean the treadmill. As much as you want everything to go as planned, it's not always the case. The weather will not always cooperate. Sometimes you will find out that at 7am it's still dark and it's not advisable to run outdoors. Or like in my last trip to Beijing, when my cellphone was flashing severe bad air quality alert in bold red. Hmmm, I should have guessed this was the reason all the locals were wearing masks. This is why I always pack cloths for running indoors.

Even then there are surprises: like a treadmill that is all in Chinese (oops), or when you are in Mexico and forgot that it's all metric there. You are all surprised and happy that you just nailed the best run in a long time, PR speed with almost no effort (despite the altitude). But then it hits you - you ran in kilometers (oops #2). But - at least you ran.  

And sometimes Plan C


You did the work. You planned, packed the right cloths. Checked that the hotel has a gym. You wake up early, fully motivated to get in a good run. You are READY, but then ...

In India, for example, the advice I got from my local colleague was that to run outside the hotel is not smart. OK, I listen, at least that day. Go to plan B, gym and treadmill. That will work until I discovered the gym froze sometimes in the 70s and using the equipment would probably cause more damage than benefit. But my body and sole needs a good run to start the day. What does one do? Well, use what you got. Yes, stairs. The hotel is built on a mountain and there are lots of stairs and steep allys. So as much as I dislike stairs, I ran with it. It was fun, liberating and worth the almost week of very tight caves.  

Running in New Places.jpg
When the hotel gym is stuck somewhere in the 70s - use what you got

A few words on the empty half of the glass 


Despite my deep love for #pinkisbadass, I know that not everything in life is pink. As much as I don't like to talk about it. Yes there are disadvantages. Like those times you were out late with your colleagues, had a little too much to drink and you should just hit the snooze button and stay in bed.

Its not easy to maintain your training routine when you travel so much. It takes a lot of willpower and motivation. Every day that I am able to get a workout in when I travel is a small victory for me. You must keep things in perspective and realize that as much as you try, your performance will suffer, your fitness will not be at peak and that not everything depends on you.

So just keep running.

20160313_071251.jpg

Most importantly, remember to look around, keep your head up and enjoy the view. 


We just launched the sister on-line magazine of BikePanel - RunPanel. The Hebrew version of this post was posted there, as always with some changes and modifications.

Thanks for reading



    
   











      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doing Breck Epic Shit - Breck Epic 2018 - Act I

Doing Breck Epic Shit - Breck Epic 2018 - Act II

Samarathon 2018 - Winter #epicshit in the Israeli Desert. Part II