Sock Mania - join me in a review of the #sockdoping trend

My article about Sock Mania was published at the end of November in BikePanel. As like my other articles, but with a slight delay due to busy year end at work, I am translating it to English (with some changes and add-ons).


Sock Mania


#sockdoping (Photo: Angela Parrotta)
Cycling socks ... maybe the last garment we think of while getting dressed for a ride, well at least this was the case for me. Throughout the years my sock drawer got filled with random socks that I added to my shopping cart to get to the minimum for free shipping, that were on sale or that I got as gifts or at different cycling events. Beyond this, I never paid much attention to which socks I would wear on a particular ride, other than trying to color coordinate, of course. In most cases I tried to chose socks that are as short as possible in order to avoid more (unnecessary) tanning lines.

As you will see, this lack of sock interest has changed 180 degrees in the past year.

Showing off our new #socks 
While I was getting ready for a La Ruta training ride, I decided to try to wear my running compression socks. The thought behind this "strange" decision was my calve muscles would love it, especially on many of the hike-a-bike sections; and if not then at a minimum the knee-high socks would serve as additional bruise protection. I admit that this decision was taken against all advice from the mountain biking fashion police and at my own risk ;-) So, I picked a florescent pink pair, just because it worked with the color of my cycling jersey that day. The result, I must admit, was surprising. About every 3rd person on the trail started a conversation with a positive comment about my socks. Same thing happened during La Ruta when a conversation started with "nice socks" (or the Spanish equivalent). All of a sudden I started to realize that maybe there is more to socks than just a necessary but negligible garment.

During day 3 of La Ruta (Photo by Fotica)
 During the past months I started to notice more cyclist that wear cool socks. On Instagram and Facebook friends (and others) were posting their photos wearing new socks, of course with the appropriate #s. Once I clicked those #s thousands of hits came up. Try for example #sockdoping or #sockgame.


What? Where was I in the past year? Did I almost miss the sock revolution? So I decided to closely investigate this phenomenon. First step, I let my credit card do the talking for me. I chose some cool socks with bold colors and designs and took them to Colorado with me.

Bold colors, geometric designs and huge selection (special thanks to Patricia Ledesma for the sock contribution)
Lets start with the very important question - Why Socks?

"The socks maketh the kit", this is Sako7 Sean's moto. Sean started his business from designing socks. For Sean all the designs (from the kit to the water bottles) start with the socks. For some riders the socks are a fun and relatively cheap way to make the team kit more interesting (said Erin Conner and the other Sticky-fingers bike team members, and their kit is pretty cool), add your personal touch and of course to look different. This is what was guiding Brett from Handlebar Mustache Apparel who added to the existing line of products cool socks. He explains "we wanted an item that even sponsored riders could wear on the bike," because not everybody likes their team kit and socks are an easy way to fix it. Of course, the wrong pair of socks can make you slower (explains Panache Cyclewear on their website). So riders be warned ... 

Personal touch to the kit - BikePanel in Colorado (article to follow soon)
In the photo socks by Handlebar Mustache (right) and Sako7 (left)
Design and Colors

Looks like the era of single color socks or a few horizontal stripes designs has passed away. Although some would say that the former classic look still has its place (under the right circumstances). The trend is clear it's all about bold flashy colors, geometric shapes and the latest trend, mismatched or mix and match socks. Yes, needless to say this trend might not be for everyone, but it seems that the fluorescent colors, the psychedelic shapes and cool designs are here to stay. 


Mismatched pairs (yes those were bought as a pair)
Brands: this is Cambridge (left) and Save Our Soles (right)
Sean from Sako7 say that what guides his designs is the "socks should be bold, daring and never boring". I completely agree, because let's be real here - isn't it much more fun to ride behind someone with cool socks?

Cool socks are also a great conversation opener, I would rather hear a comment like "awesome socks" than something annoying like "good job, almost there"


Which one would you rather see ahead of you in a paceline?Brands: Rapha (right) and Sako7 (left)
What is the Correct Length

The correct length is one of the hottest topics out there. The right sock length can make or break your look. In this case, dear readers, the size does matter!!

Our editor Guy debating how he feels about the sock length 
To discuss this important topic I approached 2 experts in the field. Brett from Handlebar Mustache says "for us the right answer is 6". It's what looks Pro to us. It's what our favorite Pro riders wear". Then he adds, half joking (or not!) "we will never make Gilbert/Horner ankle panties for men. That is not a look we want to support". Sean from Sako7 adds in support that "ankle high socks or anything less than a 4" high cuff is a NO GO!" On the other end he said that "if a sock is too high, it is not considered 'good style' or 'classy'" (utt ohh, good thing I asked him after my knee-high compression socks experiment). Sean ends by stating that "the sock should be high enough to accentuate the the lower leg running into the belly of the calf muscle". This is the ideal look.

Do you agree? 


With or Without Compression? 

I will start with the statement that despite the fact that the effectiveness of compression socks during a ride (or a run) is still controversial, many riders do like the feeling of riding with them. The problem is that the knee-high compression look, I admit, is not really stylish or cool. This is the reason why many roadies (and not to speak of mountain bikers) frown upon this triathlete look. That's it guys the struggle is over, some sock manufacturers have picked up the glove, and we no longer need to choose between style and comfort. You can now find socks in the correct length (yes, you guessed right 6") that look like regular socks but offer compression. 
The sock should stop where the calf muscle start
(I think I need to work on my calf muscles, oops)


No need to chose, compression and style in one
(from right to left - Eleven, Panach, Rapha, CEP)
  
 I will not look at my sock drawer in the same light anymore, and the socks that I wear (even in my triathlete look) will not be neglected again. I hope this is now true for you all as well. 

Thank you Patricia Ledesma for sharing the obsession. Thank you Angela Parrotta and Michelle Handren for the photos.


Happy Holidays and Thanks for Reading



Yes this is our Christmas tree







       



 

Comments

  1. The order confirmation file has everything that you need to know about your order, sock design template

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doing Breck Epic Shit - Breck Epic 2018 - Act I

Samarathon 2018 - Winter #epicshit in the Israeli Desert. Part II

Doing Breck Epic Shit - Breck Epic 2018 - Act II