My Swimming Reve(o)la(u)tion

My Swimming Toys
I am not a swimmer and never was.  My dad though me how to swim when I was little, and the most I did with this "knowledge" was to swim for a few minutes to cool myself from the Israeli summer sun, while lying on the beach or poolside.  I don't even remember how I learned how to swim free style and when; so when, in my mid 30s, I decided to sign up for my first triathlon I needed to start somewhere.

I joined a triathlon team back in NYC (Terrier Tri) and started going to their beginner swim class once a week.  The workouts were late at night, after work and in a small 20 yard pool, not appealing at all. I came up with any possible excuse not to go.

My first ever open water swim, during my first triathlon, did not contribute to my "love" of swimming. I will never forget the moment when I put my head in the 58F water of the Long Island Sound on memorial day weekend back in 2008. All I could see was blackness, my breath was taken away from me, most likely as a combination of very cold water and the complete panic of realizing that I cannot see the bottom and 100s of arms and legs kicking and pushing next to me. I couldn't breath and I could not put my head in the water, but turning around and going back to the beach was not an option.
Lake Placid IM Swim Start
(I was there as a spectator terrified of the mass start
and doubting ever doing an IM) 
I finished the 0.5 mile swim swimming like an old lady, breast stroke with my head out of the water (but in my case it wasn't because I didn't want to mess up my hairdo). I kept telling myself - just get to the next buoy (in fact I still do even after all these years). I got back to the beach with a terrified look on my face, resisting the urge to kneel down on the sand and kiss the ground under my feet screaming LAND...

So what would a normal person do? quit you say - no way - I signed up for another sprint event the month after.

For the next several year, this was my attitude towards swimming, survive so I can get to the fun part (bike and run). I swam irregularly maybe once a week, kept coming up with excuses why not to swim (I have to work, it's too late, too cold, the pool is too crowded, it's so boring - just to name a few).

Swim Exit in My First 70.3 (Eagleman)
The change happened in 2010, the year after completing my first half ironman. This is when I decided to take things more seriously by swimming regularly. I knew that I would lack the discipline to swim on my own so at a recommendation of a tri friend I joined a master swim team. Red Tide in NYC.  I bought a 10 swim punch card, thinking that if I pay for it, I will go.  I was so scared the first time, seeing all those fast ex-college division 1 swimmers in the pool, compared to me who can barely swim. I felt comfortable swimming in the slow lane (well they don't call it that, but this is what it is), where there was no pressure of making the intervals. The good news was, I was showing up on deck and consistently swimming 2-3 times a week, year round. Yes, I was showing up, but I did not like the swimming, it felt more like a chore. I also did not feel I was improving, my swim times were about the same as before, I was still scared of open water swim, not able to get into a swim rhythm until well almost half way and I was still breast-stocking a lot. I really didn't know what else I can do and lets face it, I will never be a fast swimmer and I was doubting why it even matters, but I felt that I had to do something.
Madison Open Water Swim

I did the same when I moved to Chicago, joined a master team, swam 2-3 times a week. What did change was the access to the lake, I started to work more on open water swimming.  That made a difference, I started to be more confident on swim start and I am glad to report that by now I am not a breast stroker anymore :-)  I even signed up for an open water swim event (proudly racing for the few last places in my heat). I am also more comfortable with colder water temperatures, although I do not believe I will ever be comfortable with the water temp of my first tri (IM 70.3 was close to that though).

Something did change though, it started in the fall of 2014 and continued through the winter.  I started to disliking my master swim. Every little thing was annoying to me, the nice guy in my lane, the workouts, the freezing cold water they pumped into the pool during the workout, etc. I kept looking at the clock trying to decided when I should leave. Basically, I was going back to my old habits from pre-master swim days.

That is when I decided that a change is needed.  I was going to test whether I have the discipline and motivation to swim on my own. I asked my coach to put actual workouts on my schedule. To get myself motivated I also upgraded my Garmin to the new Garmin 920XT (yes, I'm a gearhead and will use any excuse to support my upgraditis).
Master Swim Workout
I am glad to report that the experiment succeeded and for the past month or so I am swimming on my own, but this is not why I started this post. I am actually working harder swimming on my own, and the Garmin is keeping me honest. The main realization hit me about 10 days ago.

I actually enjoy swimming!!!
(and Garmin Rocks). I never though I will even say that.  I guess sometimes change is a good thing. I wonder if this new realization will have impact on my race day swim.  

Thanks for reading!
            
         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doing Breck Epic Shit - Breck Epic 2018 - Act I

Samarathon 2018 - Winter #epicshit in the Israeli Desert. Part II

Doing Breck Epic Shit - Breck Epic 2018 - Act II