My Death Ride


5 Pass finisher bib
This is a way overdue post that I've been "writing" in my head since July.  At last, I found the time (and in my case maybe courage as well) to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and start writing.  This post, which I hope will the first of many is dedicated to M.J., who, as you will read below, at a minimum saved me from a much worse injury than the one sustained and to Jeanine, Gerald and others who were with me on that ride. So, M.J. Jeanine, Gerald and group if you are reading this, I am grateful, THANK YOU.




What is the death ride you ask?

I'll start with the dry facts.  The Death Ride takes place in the California Alps, about 30 min drive from South Lake Tahoe.  The course covers climbing (and descending) five mountain passes: both sides of Monitor Pass, both sides of Ebbetts Pass, and the final climb up the east side of Carson Pass.  The ride starts and ends at Turtle Rock Park (by Markleeville, CA).  The total distance is 129 miles with over 15,000 feet of climbing.  YES all in one day, and in 2010 that day was July 10th.
This is what the elevation map looks like: Elevation Map and this is the course: Course Map

The decision to do the ride

I can't even remember how exactly I heard of the Death Ride, most likely I read about it in some cycling forum or magazine.  This ride has been on my imaginary "list" of things to do and places to go for a few years.  Like I've done in the past when a crazy idea that relates to cycling or triathlons crossed my mind, I asked Jeannine if she knew anything about this ride. [As a sidebar, Jeannine is a fellow cyclist and my tri guru].  The response I got was "YES, I did this ride 13 years ago and it's been so much fun.  I would love to do it again."  Not that I needed any encouragement, but that's all it took, I was committed.  I marked the registration date in my calendar, emailed a few friend to see if someone would like to join and started making plans.  We ended up forming a very small group of 3 (Bob and Betsy, dear friends of mine and fellow cyclists, and myself). 

The training and the Obstacle

No, I am not going to list down my training log, that would be too boring and to be honest at first I didn't really have a training plan (well, at least not a structured one).  My idea of a training plan was to ride as many long rides as I can, the hillier the better.  I am a member of the New York Cycle Club (NYCC) and during the spring I rode with the club's STS program (short for "spring training series"), whose rides met my basic requirement "long and hilly," I also added some more riding on Sunday (which is my usual running and yoga day).  I was having a great spring, the weather was getting better, warmer temps and I felt strong on the bike. It was all going as planed and it seemed to me that I will be in great shape for the ride and will be more than ready for this challenge.  Well at least until that day in mid May.  That weekend I decided it would be a good idea to go for a double century (maybe a little more) 105 miles on Saturday with the STS group followed by a 145 miles on Sunday with some friends as part of the Montauk Century ride.  At about mile 92, on Montauk highway, I was pulling our pace-line, the wind picked up and I got something in my eye, I lowered my look down for what seemed to me just a few seconds, when I hear M.J. yell - Sharon!!! Car!!! I looked up, and to my surprise a few feet from me a car was parked on the sides of the highway.  "SHIT" I think to myself, I only had a few seconds to react before crashing into the car.  I started to swerve my bike towards the highway trying to avoid crashing into the car, and almost made it.  At the least second I was forced to to push the car with my right hand so I wouldn't hit it with my bike.  Yes, I though, miraculously I made it on my bike without touching the car (well other than with my hand) and without getting hit by traffic on the highway.  Once I passed the car, all shaken and trembling I slowed down to a stop.  The group is all behind me, asking "are you ok?" "My wrist hurts a bit" I respond, I try to move and twist it and it moves (not without pain I should say), "I don't think it's broken," I say, "I can move it" (probably what a 5-year old would do and say, I admit to that).  My friends all worried, ask "are you sure? shall we call an ambulance?" me "no we are only 6 miles away from the next rest stop, I can ride there, I can use one hand if needed and see how it goes".  So there we go - I am back on the bike.  As suspected I could only use my left hand, I was thinking to myself thanks god this is all flat and I don't have to shift or brake.  The pain is getting stronger and stronger, my wrist is getting more and more swollen, I feel my eyes treeing from the pain, but no, we only have a few more miles I think, I want my double century!!! I can do this.  It's not broken, it's just swollen from the impact, I tell myself.  We got to the rest stop, by that time the pain was unbearable, I realized that we are in mile 97 and still have more than 45 miles to go.  I realized that I would not be able to finish the ride and headed straight to the ENTs.  They took one look at my wrist and called an ambulance, put my wrist in an improvised sling and there I was on my way to the ER.  From the back of the ambulance I try to smile and say to Jeannine "I better be well for your Bash-Bish ride this Memorial Day weekend"  Well, 6 hours later at the ER - I am taking to the Dr. and getting the news.  "Your wrist is fractured" he said.  "Fractured?" I say back "So does that mean it's not broken?" (well English is not my first language so I was just making sure, or not really, I was just trying to hold on to a little shred of hope).  He said "fractured means it's broken, you will have to be in a cast".  "For how long?" I ask.  I didn't want to hear his answer "4-6 weeks" he said "I am putting you in a temporary cast and you will have to see an Orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible to confirm that you don't need surgery".  Well at least no surgery, I think. I do the quick math in my head (oh now of course I can do the math in my head, but when I need to add a tip to a bill, of course, I need to use my calculator).
OH NO, beginning of July at best, no Berkshires memorial day weekend, no Eagleman (a half Ironman race I was signed up for in June) and NOOOOOOOOO, no Death Ride (or maybe yes? maybe I can still pull it off - my math said I should have about 2 weeks after the cast will come-off, assuming all goes as planned).  I'll wait to hear what the surgeon has to say, maybe I'll be a medical miracle and I will only need 4 weeks to heal, I think to myself.  No such luck, I am ordinary, 6 weeks in a cast, I was told, followed by PT.  Grasping for a last shred of hope, I ask (with tiers in my eyes) "when can I start riding indoors on my trainer? when can I ran?"  The Dr., a former triathlete himself and currently a masters swimmer, had that funny smile on his face that said yes I understand, you are one of those deranged people that can't sit still even when they are hurt, said "You can't swim! Please refrain from cycling until the weekend and from running until your next visit in about a week and a half." With somewhat reassuring news that I can start riding on my trainer in a few days I went back to work.  I can do this, I said to myself, I will just ride the hell of my trainer and will be in shape for the Death Ride.  My friends and family were looking at me as if I was crazy, probably thinking to themselves this women is insane.  I did get some supportive comments, among others were Betsy (who was supposed to do the Death Ride with me) and Jeannine (the Guru, remember?).  I was determined to at least give it a try, the Berkshires weekend may be missed as well as Eagleman, but not the Death Ride and not NYC Nautica Triathlon that was scheduled for a week after the Death Ride.

Meeting Zoltan

Here comes the day, it's the weekend, I can start riding on my trainer, I was thinking to myself all happy.  Who cares that it's 70F outside, no wind and humid, and I am indoors, I can ride my trainer (the famous Queen song is playing in my head "I want to ride my bicycle, I was to ride my bike").  Being the gear-head that I am, I have this really cool virtual reality trainer that changes the resistance based on the changing terrain on a specific route.  My plan was to upload exciting hilly courses that I rode before using the trainer to simulate the actual route.  But little did I know.  I could barely move, I felt really tired and couldn't really shift gears with my left hand (at least not fast enough to respond to the changing resistance of the trainer), I switched to just free cycling so at least I will be able to spin my legs [if this was too technical for you non-cyclists, the short version is "yeah right, great plan Sharon, but it ain't going to work"].  I was exhausted after 20 min of easy spinning.  What's wrong, I think to myself, a week ago I rode over 200 miles in addition to running and swimming and now I cant even last 20 min of easy spinning.  Friends told me "your body needs rest, it needs to recover" Well, I got the message loud and clear, my body didn't like what I was trying to do.  I took it easy for another week, and tried again.  This time it was better, I was able to ride 35 min, yay!!! but I realized that I needed help.  I needed a coach who will help me train for the ride, I needed a real training program.  That's how I got to meet Zoltan.  We met one afternoon, after I emailed him.  I show up with my cast and a profile of the Death Ride and explained my situation.  He looks at me, looks at the ride profile, looks at me again and say "that's a lot of climbing! and a lot of descending! when is the cast coming off? oh you'll have about 2 weeks after the cast is off for the ride?" shakes his head and say "mmm I don't think you can do it," I look at him half desperate (this is not what I wanted to hear I think to myself) and tell him "my concern was the descends, I don't know if my hand will be strong enough to hold the brakes for that long, but I have to give it a try, I've been wanting to do this ride for a few years now" he looked at me, grabbed a piece of paper and ask me "how much do you weight?" strange I think, what's that got to do with anything, but I tell him my weight.  He looks at the profile and does a little calculation and say "ok, you can do it, yes, let's do it."  This is how we started, slowly increasing the intensity of my rides as I felt stronger with longer hours on the trainer.

The Cast is off

The weeks have past, I was feeling better, riding on the trainer for longer periods and even running again (yes with the cast on).  The Dr. kept assuring me that the bone is healing nicely and we are still on schedule for removal after 6 weeks.  I was counting the days.  Trying to be optimistic I even reserved a rental car for my Death Ride trip and signed up for the NYCC's 4th of July weekend at West Point.  Finally the day has come, I convinced the Dr. to remove the cast a few days before the "formal" 6 weeks date so I would have one weekend before 4th of July West Point weekend to "test" my wrist.  I was told that I would have to wear a splint on my wrist for the next 2 weeks.  On Friday morning my cast was removed, of course I couldn't resist and went for a short ride (splint and all) that same afternoon, only a few laps in the central park (18 miles).  The following day I made it to state line (good 30 mile ride) and then on Sunday even made it to Piermont (43 miles).  The wrist was OK and the splint was bearable.  I was ready for a longer riding weekend.  The following weekend, 4th of July, I did a few more longer and hillier rides around West Point.  Wrist was holding up nicely, but I felt that I lost some of the fitness and was slow on the climbs.  I was frustrated.  Dark thoughts kept creeping into my head: can I do this? the Death Ride is only one week away, am I ready? will my wrist hold on the long descends? will my legs hold after being off the bike for such a long time?  I ignored these thoughts and stuck to the plan.  Flight on Wednesday to Reno.

Off we go, Death Ride here I come

On route to Reno
Finally the day has come, it's Wednesday, I am flying to Reno and from there a short drive to South Lake Tahoe, where I will be staying.  My bike is all packed and I am heading to the airport.  Butterflies in my stomach, am I crazy? can I make it? The view from the plane once we got out west was astonishing and once I reached Lake Tahoe the sights just took my breath away.  All my doubts disappeared.  I was confidant, yes I can do this - I want that 5 pass finisher jersey!!!
Betsy, Bob and me riding around Lake Tahoe
I met with Bob and Betsy who arrived the day before.  Put together my bike.  The plan was to do a short warm-up ride around the south part of the lake on Thursday with some climbing but not to much, just to get the legs moving and get acclimated (following Zoltan's instructions).  My legs felt fine, wrist was OK.  The company was great.  We were having a great ride.  Breathtaking views of the lake and the surrounding.  I was thinking "I think I made the right decision coming here after all."  Friday another day of great riding by the lake followed by a drive to  Markleeville to pickup my bib number and rider kit.  The plan was an early wake up and meeting Bob and Betsy at the start at 5:30 am (the official start time of the ride). 
Me at the start
Here I was on Saturday, July 10th, 5:30 am, it's still dark out with some traces of light of the day to come.  Luckily, the weather gods cooperated and it was not too cold at the start, I only needed arm warmers and a light jacket.  The ride started with a short downhill into Markleeville, and shorty thereafter we reached the first ascend, Monitor Pass.  I started conservatively knowing that a long day on the saddle awaits.  Bob being a fast climber immediately took off and after about 10 min I lost Betsy behind me.  I was on my own.  
Monitor Pass, the descend
Top of Monitor Pass, second time
During the ride I was feeling great, despite the very long climbs my legs felt strong, I had no altitude issues and the best news my wrist was not bothering me on the descends.  I am sure the nice sunny day and warm weather helped as well.  I stuck to the plan.  Conservative riding on the climbs, short stops at the top of the climbs, not more than 10 min, just enough to eat something and refill my water bottles.  I was having a great day, enjoying the amazing views, talking to people on the climbs, smiling to myself and just enjoying the moment.  After the first descend down Monitor Pass I even put away the splint I was riding with.  Things could not have worked better for me on this ride.  It was an amazing experience.   
Top of Carson Pass (finally)
If you thought I was crazy for attempting this ride coming back from a broken wrist, on the way I met a few crazier people (or at least equally crazy).  I saw a few guys who were doing this ride on a single-speed, 2 who were riding  elliptical bikes (this is what an elliptical bike looks like) and the highlight, in my opinion, a guy who was riding with a broken wrist (cast on and arm in a sling).  Now that's determination.  I reached the rest stop of the last pass feeling fresh, like I can keep going with no problems (well I still had 25 miles to ride to the finish line).  I was smiling so much when they put the 5th pass sticker on my bib number that it hurt and I kept smiling as I was signing the Death Ride poster (see picture).  A smile that said that's it, I did it, I am a 5 pass finisher.  I just climbed 15,000 feet.  Although I am not really an ice cream lover, that ice cream at the top of Carson pass never tasted better.  
Signing the ride poster
After a short stop I turned around and rode back towards the finish line.  I finished the ride long before the cut-off time, it took me about 11 hours (including the stops).  And yes the first thing I did when I got to the finish line (even before eating) was to order the 5 pass finisher jersey.  
The Death Ride was over and completed. 
As I was driving back to South Lake Tahoe, I saw Bob and Betsy descending Carson Pass on their way back to the finish area.  I was happy to know that they too have completed the ride.  
A week after the ride, I did the NYC tri, an Olympic distance triathlon (my first swim after 9 weeks of not swimming).  My 2010 season was back on track.
My favorite food place in Lake Tahoe
Death Ride check-in
For 2011 I signed up to do a similar, if not harder ride in the Dolomites (Maratona dles Dolomities).         
   

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doing Breck Epic Shit - Breck Epic 2018 - Act I

Samarathon 2018 - Winter #epicshit in the Israeli Desert. Part II

Doing Breck Epic Shit - Breck Epic 2018 - Act II