My favorite MTB short and yes it is badass too

Its makes me super happy that these days there are many good options for women specific mountain bike shorts. I wrote about this topic before (here). Bicycling magazine even published an article describing 8 Badass Women's MTB shorts (link here: 8 Badass Women's Mountain Bike Shorts) recently. Being a gear-head, I was a little disappointed that my favorite women's MTB shorts did not make the list. I decided to rectify the situation by telling you all about my favorite shorts and why. Full disclosure, I like it them much that I now own 4 pairs and just ordered my 5th. 

Why I need so many? 

Is reason #1 of why they are my favorite. They come in so many awesome colors and patterns. They look so cool that I started wearing them as regular shorts off the bike as well. Looks are important but there is more. Starting with the perfect fit and many well thought of features (coming next). Combine all those together and you have a winner. 

The Shredly booth in Sedona MTB festival

I also love the fact that they are made by a small business, created by women for women and are made in the USA. I love supporting small businesses, especially when they make rad looking and super comfy gear. The Shredly booth was my best discovery at the Sedona MTB festival earlier this year, and after that I just kept coming back for more.   

So after this long opening here is why I love them:

Fit and Functionality

Let's start with the most important feature. They fit great. They are slim fit but not too tight, so the look great (you know that matters). They stay in place when you ride but are still flexible and slightly stretchy which allows for free movement. They come in 2 lengths that are perfect for us ladies with longer legs.  

I sure can rock this skull and color madness :-)

The photo above is with the regular version. It supposed to fall right above the knee, which is not the
case for me. I do have very long legs. The length is similar to other MTB shorts, and slightly too short for me. Then I discovered the long version and now I'm addicted. The long version is supposed to fall below the knee, but on me it fits above.

You can chose from 10 different sizes (00-16) for the perfect fit, and if that's not enough the waistband is adjustable.

The shorts have 3 pockets, 2 side pockets and the one on the thigh that closes with a button and is big enough for a cell phone.

The shorts do not come with a chamois but you can buy one from Shredly separately or better yet, you can use any of your favorite cycling shorts and even bibs.  


Invisible zipper vents

Ventilation

The martial is thick, but wicks sweat and water very well and fast. As a side note, in the past year, I have ridden many times with them in the rain and they dried quickly.

A mesh zippered pocket allows for extra ventilation on those extra warm days. Just zip it down for more coolness. When zipped closed it is basically invisible.


Durability

Very important for a mountain bike short. Multiple crashes into rocks, bushes, mud, you name it, I crashed into it. So far so good. My shorts still looks like new. 

I believe that the thicker fabric also provided for some added protection to my skin. 
  
The ride

In action - this is the long version, perfect for my long legs


While riding the shorts don't ride up much and stay in place, and they are very quite (you know the swoosh sound that some cycling shorts make - this one doesn't).

The shorts are very flexible and are easy to move on and off the saddle or bike.

While quickly getting off and on the saddle in technical sections, the shorts never caught in the saddle.


How much and where to get

Price is reasonable in my opinion and comparable to other similar quality shorts.

The regular retail for $95 and the long $100.

They are mainly sold on-line on Shredly.com. Here is a free shipping coupon that worked for me in the past:


Free shipping code: SHIP15e



Thanks for reading


Blend in the view


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doing Breck Epic Shit - Breck Epic 2018 - Act I

Doing Breck Epic Shit - Breck Epic 2018 - Act II

Samarathon 2018 - Winter #epicshit in the Israeli Desert. Part II